Saturday, March 26, 2011

Protecting Our Title of Liberty

   Recently I had the opportunity to talk to a veteran of the U.S. Army. We talked much on the history of wars and the moral dilemnas and burdens carried by those that served. This wasn't the first time I had talked with veterans about the struggles of service, but I had a deeper realization of the great sacrifices of service men and women throughout the world this time around.
   As we continued our conversation he shared his different experiences over his years of service. He was away from home and away from his wife and children as he served his country and protected the liberties of his people.
   There is a great price paid by those willing to serve. They are away from family and loved ones and are unsure of the outcome of their service, but they do it nonetheless. Whether you are just out of high school or have a family of your own its always a sacrifice.
   My freedom, my family, my life, my liberty, and all things important to me are protected and secured by those answering the call to serve, and there will always be a price for our freedoms and liberties.

   In the Book of Mormon there is an account of a man named Captain Moroni. He is the best example of what a man of God does when he is at risk of losing his family and way of life.
    Moroni raises the Title of Liberty to rally his people together to defend their freedoms. It reads, "In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children."(Alma 46:12) This is what they fought for. This is what they protected.
   There is further scripture that shows the qualities of Moroni. "And Moroni was a strong and a mighty man; he was a man of a perfect understanding' yea, a man that did not delight in bloodshed a man whose sould did joy in the liberty and the freedom of his country, and his brethren from bondage and slavery"(Alma 48:11)
These are the qualities I see in my friends and loved ones that chose to serve. I am honored to know that my freedoms are being protected, and I am humbled to see the sacrifices of the service men and women that serve and protect their countries. Because, the sacrifice is worth it. Because, God desires us to have the freedoms we so deserve. I leave this with you in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment