Personal revelation is an experience meant for that single person receiving it. It is typically for guidance in making a decision or teaching to understand what God would have us do or how we need to look at things. However, the Spirit can also impress on our minds a greater appreciation for our blessings. That being said I felt it appropriate to share this experience of receiving a greater witness and testimony of The Book of Mormon.
Earlier in the week as I was out and about knocking on doors hoping to share our message of the Restoration of the Gospel I looked down at the Book of Mormon I held in my hand. There I was standing in the middle of this empty street, and all of a sudden this completely unexpected feeling came over me. As I looked down at that book I held firmly in my hand the world stopped for just a moment and I was filled with complete gratitude for all my blessings. I wanted to share with everyone this book that had brought so much peace and happiness and understanding into my life. I realized after that just how much I love the Book of Mormon!
Here's what the Prophet Joseph Smith said about the Book of Mormon in its Introduction page. "I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book."
Precepts are the commandments and teachings given in the Book of Mormon. Living those precepts are how we learn and grow. What I've learned has changed my life!
This is a short list of some of the things I've learned or in other words.
What the Book of Mormon has taught me...
- Christ's Atonement overcomes everything we are faced with (Alma 7:11-13).
- Willful sacrifice brings us closer to Christ (basically all of 1 Nephi).
- The importance of personal blessings and teaching my--future--children (2 Nephi 2, 3; Mosiah 1:2-7; Alma 36-42; Moroni 9)
- The Spirit can change my heart to only desire to do good (Mosiah 5:1-2)
- When I only seek to do The Lord's will He will give me power to accomplish all things (Helaman 10:4-5).
- The Lord will provide a way to keep His commandments no matter the struggle! (...throughout every page)
I LOVE THE BOOK OF MORMON!