Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Treasure Maps! A Perilous Journey With a Great Reward!

Alright, so this blog post was kind of put on the back burner for a few weeks because of the recent transfer. Things got a little crazy, but now I have some time to sit back and reflect on some cool personal experiences in my mission so far.

A few weeks ago, while Elder Brunson and I were serving together, we had a dinner with a family in Lewistown. As we waited for dinner to be served I grabbed a napkin and started doodling. To get the kids involved I asked "Hmm, what should I draw?" One thought for a moment and replied, "I don't know." Then I with my child-like randomness said "Oh, I know!! Let's draw a treasure map!"

As we drew our treasure maps a thought came to my mind about our Heavenly Father's plan for us and how we are given our own treasure maps. Sometimes we find our map in an old basement or dusty attic, and sometimes a friend may already have found it and asks us to go on a crazy wild adventure with them to find the treasure. In the end though its our choice whether we follow the map or not.

So, where did this map come from anyway. We have this most amazing treasure, which is life in our Heavenly Father's and Jesus Christ's presence, but who mapped it all out for us? Who showed us the way to our treasure?
...Jesus Christ did
He went through this life, full of its dangers and booby traps, just so He could show us the way. Getting to the treasure wasn't easy for Him. He had to deal with betrayal, loss, hunger, pain, hardship and trials of every sort. Why though? Why would anyone choose to live that kind of life and follow that kind of map?
The answer is simple. When it all comes down to it, the hard times were worth it because the treasure is priceless. After you finally dig up the treasure, all those trials and hardships fade away and are swallowed up in pure joy and happiness...
So, next time you face trials and ask "Why me?" remember this. It will all be worth it. The journey may be hard and full of danger, but you have your map and Christ, the one who got that map for you, suffered through it all not to keep the treasure for Himself, but to give it to all those that follow the map, have the courage to take the first step, and make it to the end.















No comments:

Post a Comment