Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Potter's Wheel

   Last night during my personal prayer before I went to bed I received some inspiration on this blog post. I was on my knees last night trying my hardest not to go through the motions of prayer and actually have a good one on one conversation with God. I was feeling a little anxious and excited because of the responsibility I was about to receive to train a new missionary. As usual I questioned whether I was worthy of that trust and whether or not I was ready for it. This is just one of the thoughts and feelings I received from that prayer...

   In pottery there's a special instrument in making clay pots and that is the potter's wheel. The wheel is a circular platform that spins so clay can be formed with slight effort and movement. The most important part of the process though is the beginning. Your clay has to be right on the center of the wheel, because if its not the clay is going to fly off the wheel or become impossible to work with.

   Our Heavenly Father works with us in the same fashion. We are the clay and He is the potter. He forms us to what he desires and we in turn desire to be shaped the way he wants us to. There is one condition though. For Him to begin forming and shaping us we must be in the center of His wheel. The wheel is the gospel of Jesus Christ...

As we continue to center our lives around Christ and His gopel we are able to be built up and be ready for the time when we are put into the fires of trial and struggle to be made into that which we are destined to become.

"But now, O Lord, thou art our afather; we are the clay, and thou our potter; and we all are the bwork of thy hand." (Isaiah 64:8)

The words of Isaiah are true. We are His clay and we are the work of His hand. We must let that work be a good work and center our lives upon the Gospel of Christ. I challenge everyone to bring your lives into allignment with God's will and receive the blessings He has in store for you. I leave this message in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

If you have any thoughts, feelings, or opinions about this post please feel free to share.

  

1 comment:

  1. I found this post while searching for images of the potter's wheel for my own blog post. And I'm so glad I did! I took pottery in high school, so I know how important it is to have the clay in the center. I'd forgotten that until you reminded me --- and the analogy is perfect. Thank you for the unexpected blessing this evening.
    Cat

    ReplyDelete