Tuesday, August 9, 2011

What to do When a Dog "Marks its Territory" On Your Backpack

Ha, with a catchy title like that you can't help but read this post!

   One thing to start us off. I want readers to know that this is a true story and it all happened...yesterday. Last night, after finishing off all our Preparation Day chores and taking a much needed nap, Elder Brunson and I went to a family's house to see if they were home and up for a visit. Luckily they were and we were able to catch up with them after a month of not seeing them.
   We talked with each other outside enjoying the good summer weather. As we talked topics would change from this to that and their dogs would play fetch and enjoy playing with the new visitors, us. Apparently one of the dogs named Blue had a very "I own you" type of attitude and wanted my backpack for himself. So, he commenced to "marking his territory" on my backpack!
   ...Geez I get no respect...I mean really? Man's best friend? Sure, until you turn around and while you're not looking he takes everything you have for himself.
  Well, from that point a person only has one choice and that finally brings me to my point. When it all comes down to it you're only left with one option in life and that's the choice of your attitude and how you react to whatever comes your way.

Here's a Scripture to Apply to Life:
   In the Old Testament there is a man named Job. In his story there are two messages. First, when everything in life goes its absolute worst you still have the choice to be happy or not. Second, when everything in life fails you remember to love and thank God for all your blessings.
   The things that happened in Job's life would make any person feel as though they were hated, but Job knew he was not and so he chose to continue to love and not hate God for the things that happened to him.

If you really want to know what I'm talking about just read it in Chapter one of the Book of Job.


Finally, the last thing I want to share to put everything together is this quote from Elder Richard G. Scott


"When you face adversity, you can be led to ask many questions. Some serve a useful purpose; others do not. To ask, Why does this have to happen to me? Why do I have to suffer this now? What have I done to cause this? Will lead  you into blind alleys. It really does no good to ask questions that reflect opposition to the will of God. Rather ask, What am I to do? What am I to learn from this experience? What am I to change Whom am I to help? How can I remember my many blessings in times of trial?"


   When the world crashes down around you and when dogs pee on your backpack laugh it off and continue to smile. Happiness is home grown not bought.

No comments:

Post a Comment