Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Honor's Code

   Today I wanted to talk a little bit about honor. Mainly because through all of my years in high school english I still haven't quite figured out how to share its meaning with others. From what the dictionary tells us honor is a verb, a noun, and sometimes an adjective. I found twenty-four definitions for the word, and that still wasn't enough for me to understand. Sometimes to grasp the idea of honor requires a little more work than reading in a book. There's a bit more thought involved--for me at least.

   So, what is honor? Honor is something that composes your character. Its a quality you maintain by the actions you take. Some examples are doing good to your fellowmen and treating others and yourself with respect. Some people receive medals and recognition for honorable deeds done, such as saving a life or donating to charitable causes.However, once someone gets awarded doesn't mean they now have honor and will have it from that point on. They must continue and persisit in doing honorable things.
  

 Elder Robbins of the Quorom of the Seventy defines qualities like honor when he made a comparison between doing and being.
   "Many of us create to do lists to remind us of things we want to accomplish. But people rarely have to be lists. Why? To do’s are activities or events that can be checked off the list when done. To be, however, is never done. You can’t earn checkmarks with to be’s. I can take my wife out for a lovely evening this Friday, which is a to do. But being a good husband is not an event; it needs to be part of my nature—my character, or who I am." I just love that quote!
   There is one last thing that I want to share concerning honor. Honor is something that should be sought after in a celestial sense. "And thus if ye are faithful ye shall be laden with many sheaves, and crowned with honor, and glory, and immortality, and eternal life." (D&C 75:5) Honor is so important in our Heavenly Father's eyes that its even mentioned with immortality and eternal life. So, I hope and pray that you all strive to be honorable in the sight of our Lord. I leave this with you in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen
  
Multitudes of angels honoring Christ

No comments:

Post a Comment